Tennessee insurance license applicants must pass a computerized license examination administered by Pearson VUE, a national testing firm. To schedule an exam date and time, you can call them toll-free at (800) 274-4957 or visit www.pearsonvue.com. You are encouraged to reserve your exam date at least three or four business days prior.
To schedule an exam, Pearson VUE will require the following:
- Personal information – legal name, address, phone, SSN, date of birth, and daytime telephone number
- Name of the examination(s)
- Preferred examination date and test center location
- Failing score report (if retaking an exam)
- Name and provider number of your education provider
- Course provider number
- Exam fees paid in full
For more information, click here to view Pearson VUE’s complete Licensing and Examination Information Booklet, which includes details of all licensing requirements, exam reservation guidelines, and a list of all Pearson VUE test center locations and hours of operation. Scheduled test dates vary widely by location.
On the day of your examination you must bring the following to the test center:
- Two forms of current signature identification, one of which must include a government-issued photo such as a driver's license or state ID
- A completed and signed Uniform Application, which must include a completed Prelicensing Education Proof of Completion
- The state application filing fee in the form of an insurance company check, certified check, cashier's check, or money order, made payable to the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance
- Candidates who pass all parts of the examination will receive a score report that reads "pass," and no numeric score will be reported. Candidates who fail one or more parts of the examination will receive a numeric score for each part they failed.